Saturday, March 7, 2009

Soup.

Okay, where did Jasper go and who is this imposter?? I cannot believe some of the amazing things happening here.

As I write, Jasper has just finished his lunch - he actually sat at the table and ate a little bowl of homemade celery soup (had two serves) and a star shaped vegemite sandwich (thank goodness for cookie cutters)! I can't believe it?!

A week ago he would never sit for a meal, whatever I put in front of him he refused, he would request either pasta or eggs (and then usually refuse them once i prepared them).

I had a thought today as to why this is working - in the past I have tried not to make too much of a fuss with food, just put it down for him and then left him to it. Since we have started our routines one of us has been actually sitting down at his little table with him to eat lunch or morning tea etc. I make a matching meal for whoever is sitting with Jasper and we make a point of saying 'lets sit down for lunch', 'yum, this is a yummy lunch' etc and he is mirroring what we are doing and saying. It is almost like he needed to be shown (or reminded) what to do.

Food cut into shapes is working a treat (why did I not think of it before) as is his little divided plate with 3 sections for different foods.

I am so excited he is liking the celery soup (he also had some last night), being that he is not a big vegie eater it is a way of hiding vegies (it contains celery, carrots and potato). I think he will probably eat pumpkin soup too, I know he has in the past.

Behaviour wise he is being a bit of a pill today (but better than normal). I know this is because things are not as structured on the weekends, so I find if I keep saying things like 'we will have a play now, then a rest, then dad will be home' it sort of keeps reminding him to 'play now' and he is happy with that. He starts repeating this to himself as he plays.... 'play now, then rest, then dad home'....and on it goes!

He has just tipped out his box of duplo and built a very impressive tower - almost as tall as he is - and is telling Jordy and I 'don't touch the tower, okay'. Jordy just informed me that Jaspers tower is 38 blocks high!

Anyway, next time I go into town I will be on the lookout for large cookie cutters - I am thinking a car shaped one will be great when the novelty wears off stars and little men!!

No comments:

Post a Comment