I promised Jasper last night that we would be going for a train ride today, to Melbourne, to visit Brayden for the day. This morning he was only half awake when he yelled out 'train', so he obviously didn't forget!
He loves trains (and train tracks, train crossings and boom gates). He became very anxious while we were standing on the platform and the train pulled up (but I think this is because recently at the train station in Shepparton, whilst doing a bit of 'train spotting', a train tooted as it went past and Jasper nearly went through the roof - he startles very easily but he got a really big fright this time and has been a little wary of trains ever since). Once we were on the train though he was very excited!
A little way into the journey he stood at the window and saw a crossing with boom gates, so for the rest of the trip he whinged about seeing 'more boom gates'. When he wasn't whinging about that he was talking non stop (which for him is just repeating the same thing over and over again) - 'Going to Melbourne, see Brayden......going to Melbourne, see Brayden.....going to Melbourne.....see Brayden' - interspersed with - 'Where's the boom gates.......where's the boom gates' and 'green light (above the toilet door).....green light.....green light'. And on and on it went! I could feel the glare of other travellers on me, annoyed with having their peace disrupted.
As soon as we were off the train and had met up with Brayden his focus shifted to 'go on the tram......go on the tram.......go on the tram'. Once we were on the tram he became obsessed with wanting to put money in the ticket machine and wanted to hold on to the handles hanging from the roof (which necessitated me standing up, holding him, so he could reach). At that point I realised it was going to be a LONG day!
We had lunch at a really nice vegetarian place but Jasper fastened himself into his stroller and refused to eat! His eating (or lack of it) is a concern at the moment. He seems to exist on milk, custard, jelly and pasta. Although today he mostly ate rubbish and I am paying for it now (twisties, diet coke, lollies and an ice cream cone). I generally don't allow those sorts of things but relented somewhat today, in hopeful anticipation he would reciprocate with good behaviour.
We ended up coming home earlier than planned as Jasper became too difficult. He continued with this behaviour on the way home (escalating to head butting, slapping and squealing) before dropping off to sleep as we passed the Kangaroo Flat station (ie: 10 minutes from our stop).
Friday is usually not a great day anyway, after he has spent the previous two days at creche - he is very tired and cranky as a rule. I had my first two days back at work and I was tired and cranky too! Having said that we did manage to have two stress free mornings getting ready and off to work/school/creche (AND on time)!!! So that was a bonus - I used the photo of creche (must get one of my workplace) and school before we left home and he was fine! He did cry though, both days, as I left him, but then he does the same thing at home if I go out without him anyway. He reportedly had two great days at creche (and they were long days this week as opposed to the shorter ones he was having at creche while I was not at work).
His carer mentioned he spent a lot of time holding on to a car - not playing with it as intended but instead - spinning the wheels around and watching them spin. She also mentioned he tends to look at her out the corner of his eye. I have noticed him doing the same, not so much when he is looking at me, but I have watched him watching something (usually something that moves, such as the fan going around) from the corner of his eye. On a positive note he received a number of stickers for sitting on the toilet at nappy change time - and was very proud to show them off to me.
Jasper is very hyped up tonight and is getting into a bit of a frenzy, asking repeatedly for his 'basketball top'.....which he now fortunately has on.........and just bit Garth in frustration. Sigh. Time for him to go to bed I think - and I won't be far behind. I am mentally worn out from having listened to him all day. The repetition and the constant demands really wear me down.
He loves trains (and train tracks, train crossings and boom gates). He became very anxious while we were standing on the platform and the train pulled up (but I think this is because recently at the train station in Shepparton, whilst doing a bit of 'train spotting', a train tooted as it went past and Jasper nearly went through the roof - he startles very easily but he got a really big fright this time and has been a little wary of trains ever since). Once we were on the train though he was very excited!
A little way into the journey he stood at the window and saw a crossing with boom gates, so for the rest of the trip he whinged about seeing 'more boom gates'. When he wasn't whinging about that he was talking non stop (which for him is just repeating the same thing over and over again) - 'Going to Melbourne, see Brayden......going to Melbourne, see Brayden.....going to Melbourne.....see Brayden' - interspersed with - 'Where's the boom gates.......where's the boom gates' and 'green light (above the toilet door).....green light.....green light'. And on and on it went! I could feel the glare of other travellers on me, annoyed with having their peace disrupted.
As soon as we were off the train and had met up with Brayden his focus shifted to 'go on the tram......go on the tram.......go on the tram'. Once we were on the tram he became obsessed with wanting to put money in the ticket machine and wanted to hold on to the handles hanging from the roof (which necessitated me standing up, holding him, so he could reach). At that point I realised it was going to be a LONG day!
We had lunch at a really nice vegetarian place but Jasper fastened himself into his stroller and refused to eat! His eating (or lack of it) is a concern at the moment. He seems to exist on milk, custard, jelly and pasta. Although today he mostly ate rubbish and I am paying for it now (twisties, diet coke, lollies and an ice cream cone). I generally don't allow those sorts of things but relented somewhat today, in hopeful anticipation he would reciprocate with good behaviour.
We ended up coming home earlier than planned as Jasper became too difficult. He continued with this behaviour on the way home (escalating to head butting, slapping and squealing) before dropping off to sleep as we passed the Kangaroo Flat station (ie: 10 minutes from our stop).
Friday is usually not a great day anyway, after he has spent the previous two days at creche - he is very tired and cranky as a rule. I had my first two days back at work and I was tired and cranky too! Having said that we did manage to have two stress free mornings getting ready and off to work/school/creche (AND on time)!!! So that was a bonus - I used the photo of creche (must get one of my workplace) and school before we left home and he was fine! He did cry though, both days, as I left him, but then he does the same thing at home if I go out without him anyway. He reportedly had two great days at creche (and they were long days this week as opposed to the shorter ones he was having at creche while I was not at work).
His carer mentioned he spent a lot of time holding on to a car - not playing with it as intended but instead - spinning the wheels around and watching them spin. She also mentioned he tends to look at her out the corner of his eye. I have noticed him doing the same, not so much when he is looking at me, but I have watched him watching something (usually something that moves, such as the fan going around) from the corner of his eye. On a positive note he received a number of stickers for sitting on the toilet at nappy change time - and was very proud to show them off to me.
Jasper is very hyped up tonight and is getting into a bit of a frenzy, asking repeatedly for his 'basketball top'.....which he now fortunately has on.........and just bit Garth in frustration. Sigh. Time for him to go to bed I think - and I won't be far behind. I am mentally worn out from having listened to him all day. The repetition and the constant demands really wear me down.
Your life does sounds extremely full-on Kristen, do you get a chance to have your own time?
ReplyDeleteSandra, in a word....'No'....and I really resent it! Can you tell?!
ReplyDelete