The past 4 days have been pretty close to perfect (at least the great moments have far out-weighed the not so great ones).
On Tuesday we decided to 'finally' get serious about a routine and I cannot believe the difference it has made. Jasper sat down and ate 3 meals and 2 snacks throughout the day (and we took lots of photos to use as prompts) and the best bit was, there was no whinging for food at all. He had some indoor play, some outdoor play and a rest. We kept repeating to him the whole day what the routine would be and he would say 'say it again'...it was like a big game. He already repeats back to us the night time routine - as soon as we mention the bath he says 'bath, then stories, then bed'.
Wednesday and Thursday were perfect - he was happy and there was hardly any of the anxiety or constantly repeating the same thing. His language was great, his mood was great and best of all, his behaviour was great!
Last night almost went pear shaped but as tired as i was (and goodness, was I TIRED) I managed to follow the routine (nearly let it go but the thought of another feral friday made me stay strong). The only glitch was forgetting to give him his medicine (and wondered why, when I put him to bed, he called out for the next hour and refused to settle).
Today, which is usually the day I least follow any sort of routine (it is just a catch up day for me - whatever has to be done) I decided to stick loosely to some form of structure. Before we left the house I repeated to Jasper a number of times 'We are going to ..... take the kids to school ...... call in to see Rachael (I had to call in at work to fill out my time sheet - Rachael job shares with me and Jasper is familiar with her)......then have a play at the Fun Factory. It took him a few moments but I think he remembered the fun factory (had not been there for a while) and started talking about the 'motor bikes' and 'balls' and got quite excited.
Our play at the Fun Factory was a great success. He is usually overwhelmed by the noise and the number of children running around - and gets very funny if anyone breaches his personal space. He wanted me beside him for the first 5 or 10 minutes then gradually I moved further away till I was sitting at a table and he was happily playing by himself. After an hour or so he even made a little friend (a little girl about his age, maybe a bit younger) and was asking her to follow him. The two of them had a wonderful time, running after each other, laughing and giggling together. When he wanted to have a go at doing something different he would talk to her and turn her head (rather than actually pointing) in the direction he wanted to go saying 'come with me'. I was reluctant to leave while he was having so much fun and interacting so well. We stayed on until all the others left (I don't think there was any way I would've managed to talk him into leaving prior to that)!!
We grabbed a brochure with a photo of the fun factory on it, and will use that as a visual prompt as well (although I am certain he understands the words 'Fun Factory' now).
He was starting to get cranky as we headed home and I tried to keep him awake by talking to him about what we were going to do when we got home.....lunch, a play, a rest.....then the kids would be home from school. I'm not sure if it is pure coincidence but I have been using a gingerbread man cutter to cut out a shape from his sandwiches (instead of boring triangles) and he has subsequently been eating all his lunch - today he had a vegemite man and a jam man! He was even role playing with the 2 sandwich men as he ate. We are limiting his chocolate soy milk (or normal soy for that matter) to only at meal times and he has been coping okay with that - he still asks occasionally between meals but I just repeat 'chocolate milk for breakfast and lunch and dinner, not now' and he has been accepting that.
To cap off a wonderful few days - he got an invitation to a birthday party (from a little girl at creche)! To be held at the Fun Factory no less!!!
I have just finished reading a wonderful book called Smiling At Shadows (see 'read me' list) and I highly recommend it. Even now, after seemingly absorbing so much information about autism it amazes me that all these little snippets continue to leap up at you from the page - feelings that you identify with, situations you have found yourself in, strategies to try. You sort of feel, as you read along, that you are nodding your head in agreement the whole time. This is not just my journey (or Jaspers) there are people everywhere, everyday on the same journey, living the same roller coaster life. And mostly surviving! There is hope!
On Tuesday we decided to 'finally' get serious about a routine and I cannot believe the difference it has made. Jasper sat down and ate 3 meals and 2 snacks throughout the day (and we took lots of photos to use as prompts) and the best bit was, there was no whinging for food at all. He had some indoor play, some outdoor play and a rest. We kept repeating to him the whole day what the routine would be and he would say 'say it again'...it was like a big game. He already repeats back to us the night time routine - as soon as we mention the bath he says 'bath, then stories, then bed'.
Wednesday and Thursday were perfect - he was happy and there was hardly any of the anxiety or constantly repeating the same thing. His language was great, his mood was great and best of all, his behaviour was great!
Last night almost went pear shaped but as tired as i was (and goodness, was I TIRED) I managed to follow the routine (nearly let it go but the thought of another feral friday made me stay strong). The only glitch was forgetting to give him his medicine (and wondered why, when I put him to bed, he called out for the next hour and refused to settle).
Today, which is usually the day I least follow any sort of routine (it is just a catch up day for me - whatever has to be done) I decided to stick loosely to some form of structure. Before we left the house I repeated to Jasper a number of times 'We are going to ..... take the kids to school ...... call in to see Rachael (I had to call in at work to fill out my time sheet - Rachael job shares with me and Jasper is familiar with her)......then have a play at the Fun Factory. It took him a few moments but I think he remembered the fun factory (had not been there for a while) and started talking about the 'motor bikes' and 'balls' and got quite excited.
Our play at the Fun Factory was a great success. He is usually overwhelmed by the noise and the number of children running around - and gets very funny if anyone breaches his personal space. He wanted me beside him for the first 5 or 10 minutes then gradually I moved further away till I was sitting at a table and he was happily playing by himself. After an hour or so he even made a little friend (a little girl about his age, maybe a bit younger) and was asking her to follow him. The two of them had a wonderful time, running after each other, laughing and giggling together. When he wanted to have a go at doing something different he would talk to her and turn her head (rather than actually pointing) in the direction he wanted to go saying 'come with me'. I was reluctant to leave while he was having so much fun and interacting so well. We stayed on until all the others left (I don't think there was any way I would've managed to talk him into leaving prior to that)!!
We grabbed a brochure with a photo of the fun factory on it, and will use that as a visual prompt as well (although I am certain he understands the words 'Fun Factory' now).
He was starting to get cranky as we headed home and I tried to keep him awake by talking to him about what we were going to do when we got home.....lunch, a play, a rest.....then the kids would be home from school. I'm not sure if it is pure coincidence but I have been using a gingerbread man cutter to cut out a shape from his sandwiches (instead of boring triangles) and he has subsequently been eating all his lunch - today he had a vegemite man and a jam man! He was even role playing with the 2 sandwich men as he ate. We are limiting his chocolate soy milk (or normal soy for that matter) to only at meal times and he has been coping okay with that - he still asks occasionally between meals but I just repeat 'chocolate milk for breakfast and lunch and dinner, not now' and he has been accepting that.
To cap off a wonderful few days - he got an invitation to a birthday party (from a little girl at creche)! To be held at the Fun Factory no less!!!
I have just finished reading a wonderful book called Smiling At Shadows (see 'read me' list) and I highly recommend it. Even now, after seemingly absorbing so much information about autism it amazes me that all these little snippets continue to leap up at you from the page - feelings that you identify with, situations you have found yourself in, strategies to try. You sort of feel, as you read along, that you are nodding your head in agreement the whole time. This is not just my journey (or Jaspers) there are people everywhere, everyday on the same journey, living the same roller coaster life. And mostly surviving! There is hope!
Oh Kristen I have tears in my eyes reading this post, I am so happy for you. Well done. You are a wonderful mother. Lovely when our little DSs are happy isn't it :)
ReplyDeleteThanks LSQ :) (are you a member of SS)?
ReplyDelete