Jasper had his first day back at creche today after a 2 week break. I think he twigged about half way there, where we were going, and he sobbed 'home mummy, home'.
I tried to be upbeat saying 'you're fine, you will be okay' but he didn't buy it!
Lately he has been asking:
'You okay mummy, you okay?'
to which you have to reply:
'Yes, I'm okay, are you okay?'
'Yes, I okay' he replies!
It has become somewhat of a ritual and you HAVE to answer him in the same way or he just keeps asking and asking. Anyway, he asked this a number of times as we walked into creche.
I am wondering if he does this as a way to get positive reinforcement back that he is, in fact, okay? And yet he seems to genuinely be concerned when he asks if I am okay (especially if i hurt myself or curse under my breath about something). It's interesting and kind of cute.
As soon as we get in the car to go anywhere he seems to become instantly anxious, saying 'go home, go home'.
I would like to be able to prepare him earlier and tell him we are going to creche (as I do for other places we go) but I don't think I could bear the 15 minute drive to creche with him crying about it!
As for his day, he was very happy when I arrived to collect him from creche tonight and 'apparently' hadn't been upset for long this morning.
He was a happy, albeit tired, little man tonight so he had an early bath, declined dinner (as is the norm) and was in bed 30 minutes after his dose of melatonin (and a good hour earlier than normal).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Kristen - Andrea here
ReplyDeleteI would probably say that the 'You okay' ritual is a calming thing for him. He does it because he knows how it is going to start and end. As you say - he makes you do it exactly the same each time. It would be interesting to know whether he only does it when he is stressed about something - such as an imminent arrival at creche.
A
Hi Andrea,
ReplyDeleteI really feel it probably is a calming thing - and it is not only at creche, he does it a lot at home. It seems random but I must take more notice next time. The funny thing is he also does it if one of us hurts ourself or something similar, but then again, that could be a calming thing too when he sense the mood has changed? Interesting isn't it. (If I hear him say 'I want a cup of milk' one more time I think I am going to scream! That is his latest thing).
Is there any way he can help himself to milk - or can you line up 4 or 5 cups in the fridge. would be interesting to see whether it is milk or attention he is after!
ReplyDeleteChin up - cool change should be here sometime next year!!!!! I know what you mean about being awake till 3am - glad I am here at work and not home with my grumpy three!