I was not sure what to call this post but as soon as I sat down at the computer, Jasper started up his demands ("I want a cup of milk" and "I want a biscuit") and I sighed 'give me strength' under my breath, as I so often do! Easy!
It is so hot here today and we are all tired and cranky, not the least Jasper. We had Occupational Therapy first thing this morning (and he went really well) then did a few jobs in town, but his happy, compliant attitude started going downhill around midday.....(time to go home)......and has been pretty ordinary since then.
He refuses to have a rest or sleep (a nanna nap makes perfectly good sense to me on a day like today) although he did lie on the bed with me, fan blowing full pelt, playing with his cars for maybe half an hour. Then it was back to the whinging and demanding....."I want a cup of milk"....."I want a biscuit"........(if you're asking me "I want to run away and never come back"). The frustrating thing is, when he is demanding things like this all day, non-stop, more often than not, once he has it he doesn't want it.
I'm really trying to stop the all day snacking for this reason and after lunch I fill up his drink bottle with cool water and put a few rice crackers in a bowl, on his little table, and each time he asks for food or milk I direct him there (and usually, if I am lucky, after being shown the water bottle and biscuits a few times he gives up asking for anything else). It's no fun when mum is not playing the game!
While at OT, Andrea (Early Intervention) gave me some picture cards to start using (we gave her a disc of photos, mostly places we go) and I am hoping once we really get into using them things will get easier. At the moment the greatest need is photos of the family and a matching photo of where each person is at any given time and also photos of places we are about to go to. They are also very supportive and keen at creche to start using picture cards although in terms of his transitions from one activity to another - or play to meal time, meal time to rest time etc - he apparently copes really well.
Anyway, for the moment he is engrossed in 'abc kids' on tv so I will enjoy the peace while it lasts (which past experience tells me won't be long at all) and later in the afternoon/early evening he can have a splash outside in his wading pool, which he really, really enjoys. I might even join him at this rate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I hope the picture cards help. They were like a light switch for my DS6 - best thing we ever used. Sparkly hugs
ReplyDeleteI hope so too!! I showed Jasper a picture of creche, a picture of the supermarket and a picture of the service station, telling him "Jasper is going to creche and mum is going to the supermarket to get groceries and the service station to get petrol" - maybe that was too much information(?)but we managed the drive to creche without any tears! He only started crying when he realised he was staying there and I was going to the supermarket and service station alone! Did you use actual photos of particular places or pictures representing the places?
ReplyDeleteFor creche I used a photograph that I took of the centre's logo (a zebra).
ReplyDeleteAt school his teacher used simple drawings of a boy reading, writing, colouring, etc.
Middle of last year DS6 started understanding lists (first we shop, then see Bernadette (speechy), then home.