Monday, January 12, 2009

Holiday.


We are currently holidaying (Phillip Island), although I use the term very loosely - there is nothing restful and relaxing about what we are going through thanks to Jasper! This is our first real holiday - just the 3 of us. Jasper has been really out of sorts and wanting to 'go home' all the time (don't we all)!

I think he is probably just too wound up and out of his normal routine and it is making him anxious and cranky. He hasn't been sleeping very well, Garth and I have been playing tag team, sleeping with him on alternating nights so the other can get a good rest.

However, as I speak, he has crashed on the couch so we are enjoying a rare moment of peace!

We have had to be careful to refer to the place we are staying as 'the holiday house' rather than 'home' so as not to confuse him any more than necessary.

We visited Churchill Island today and rather than all the animals etc he was most interested in the machine that dispensed little cups of animal food for $3. Garth introduced him to a similar machine yesterday at the Nobbies which dispensed lollies - guess what is going to be the next big obsession!

Garth took him down to the toddler pool at the resort where we are staying yesterday but he was not keen at all. He actually gave himself a blood nose with all his carry on as we tried to change him into his togs! Guess he doesn't like swimming!

We spent some time at the beach this afternoon and after his initial reluctance to go anywhere near the water he eventually loosened up enough to dip his toes in! He really enjoyed digging in the sand with his spade and bucket, making sand castles and getting Dad to tip water into his moat! We might give the beach another go tomorrow. We have tickets to see the Penguin Parade tomorrow night as well (9pm - could be interesting) so we'll see how that goes!

On the Autism front we have had to redirect Jasper from licking everything in sight (including his own feet) and screaming out in a funny, high pitch squeal, randomly, to display his frustration (I think)?! Must discuss these two latest 'traits' with Andrea when I see her next (Early Intervention).

After a very Autistic day yesterday Garth and I wondered (a little too seriously) if Phillip Island has an Occasional Care facility!! Failing that we thought we could wack on some floaties, launch him over board (at the Nobbies) and return for him on our way home (or not)!!! The fact that we were only partially joking tells you what sort of day we had!

2 comments:

  1. Kristen, I am following your blog and wanted to send a sparkly hug to you. You are doing a great job and are so brave to be sharing this. I totally understand the 'only partially joking' feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It means a lot to know that someone understands. I need to be brutally honest here - it is the only place I feel safe to say the things I want to say out loud in real life but cannot. I feel such resentment and then such guilt.

    ReplyDelete